Gas Safety Week 2015
Gas Safety Week is a national safety campaign to raise awareness of gas safety in the UK’s 23 million gas fuelled homes.
The campaign is coordinated by the Gas Safe register – the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire.
Did You Know?
- Every year, thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas – you cannot see it, you cannot taste or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
- The Gas Safe register estimates that there are around 7,500 illegal gas fitters operating across the UK and up to 250,000 illegal gas jobs may be carried out each year.
- 10% of Britons with gas appliances have never had them checked!
Why Do We Get Involved?
As part of the national safety campaign, Ian Hobbs Technical Services have joined thousands of organisations across the UK to help encourage the public to stay safe because:
- We want to help protect our customers and save lives.
- September is the start of the heating season, so many people will be turning on their boilers and gas fires.
- In 2014, the campaign reached over 147 million people and we are very proud to be a part of it!
Top Tips For Staying Safe!
- Do not employ anyone other than a gas safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your gas appliances. Always ask to see their ID card to ensure they are qualified.
- Recognise the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness and / or loss of conciousness.
- Visually check your appliances on a regular basis – i.e. A yellow flame instead of blue, or black marks around the appliance could indicate problems.
- Purchase a loud carbon monoxide alarm for your house and ensure it is situated near the gas appliances.
- Always ensure your gas appliances have adequate ventilation so that they can burn properly.
- Ensure your appliances are gas safety checked annually.
Be Safe. Be Gas Safe.
You can find Ian Hobbs Technical Services on the Gas Safe register here.
Call us today on 01761 414356 to book to have your gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe registered company.